Monday, June 01, 2015

So, it's with substantial sadness but, admittedly, no small sense of relief that I'm announcing my virtual retirement from the music reviewing life.

As many of you know, Betsy and I are moving back to the US in a couple of months and I'd like to devote much more time to painting and drawing, something that's been difficult given the volume of new music that regularly appears in my mailbox (stuff you actually have to spend time listening to...). It's still really a huge amount of fun (mostly) but there are simply things I'd rather be doing for the time being. I'm sure I'll still write about new releases when the music moves me enough to do so, but I'm putting the kibosh on the routine of reviewing almost everything that comes my way. I'll still be here for a while as I promise to write up the pile of releases currently sitting on my table (20-30 of 'em) as well as any that are already in the mail and happen to trickle in over the next week or so but after that, all bets are off. I'll also look through the d/l items still sitting in my in-box, but make no promises on those. And I'll still keep my oars slightly in the water by doing a few reviews for Squid's Ear.

In any case: Please stop sending me music! There will be no one here to receive them in a couple of months anyway (no forwarding Paris to US is going to happen) but I'd appreciate it if the mail ceases quickly.

I can't say enough how thankful and touched I am that so many musicians, labels and listeners have steered things my way over the years. Thank you, thank you. It's been wonderful experiencing music I'd never otherwise have had the opportunity to hear and the greater part of my regret in closing up shop is the nagging feeling I know will surface regularly that I'm missing something vital, but so it goes. And I'm always especially moved by the notes I get from readers thanking me for the service I've provided in at least shedding some light on this music--it's the least I could do. Plus there are other excellent, younger writers out there (Ed Howard, Lucas Schleicher and more) who are more than able to pick up some of the slack and probably have sharper ears to boot.

Back to the lingering reviews later this week; should last me through the month, at least.

Thanks.





20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the reviews. I'm going to miss them.
With your post I've just realized more and more music review blogs that I have in my rss feed reader were abandoned or updated with a similar post to yours.
Could you please post a list of music review sites you would recommend visiting or that you visit yourself ?

Brian Olewnick said...

Well, there's Jesse Goin's crow with no mouth and Richard Pinnell's The Watchful Ear, though each reviews only on occasion.

Ed Howard's page is reddy brown objects--most has been historical but it's fantastic (as has been his film writing)

Lucas writes for Dusted though I usually see his work via links he posts on facebook.

Joshua said...

Thank you so much for everything and best wishes to all your future endeavors Brian! Your writing has always been incredibly insightful and you've been a huge pillar of this music scene.

Anonymous said...

Such sad news! Thank you for all the time and energy you've devoted to this project over the years - I know musicians, labels, and listeners alike will greatly miss your reviews. I wish you the best with your future endeavors.

Matt E said...

Thank you for your tireless efforts Brian, your writing has been an invaluable resource to me and my friends. All the best.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great job done, and thank you for stopping : it's significant, I think.

jesse said...

Does Uli know?

#UlipartyinChicago #Deathtoroomtones

Anonymous said...

Here is an asshole!!!

Brian Olewnick said...

^^^ Maybe he does now!

Unknown said...

This is the worst news i've had this year. Good luck with the future and thank you for all you've done for music.

lucio capece said...

Thank you Brian. Such a illuminating, honest, respectful and generous writing.
All the best wishings in this new moment of your life. lucio

ricardo messina said...

A plague of the lighthouse keepers? Less of them each day...

As for what little i've seen of your visual works, here's for a renewed impulse to that!

Best Wishes.

D. said...

Thank you for all the great work put into this blog - I learned so much from it over the years and will miss visiting here. Looking forward to the Rowe biography, perhaps the good news is that you'll have more time for it now?...

Unknown said...

Sad news (vacuum) / Great news (new life).
For me you are/will be still here (with Betsie) talking, with a huge smile, a glass of wine in the hands.
Kind regards,
Bruno.

Unknown said...

Hopefully you land near your old spot - let me know....

I always chack in

I always remember

yes - I'm a free jazz guy always first and always forever but I do loves me some Keith Rowe and electroic skronk

your friend,

Stevie Rey

still....


Coming Down the Mountain

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your work!

uli said...

oh my. post-olewnik is here.

Entr’acte said...

Chapeau!

Ryzin said...

so great work, thank you very much Brian and good luck in new life

daniel70 said...

it was alway enlightening reading your thoughts & opinions on these sounds. thanks.